Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Stress & the Unexpected

What do you do when something unexpected happens to you?  You can plan and plan for your life to run smoothly, and yet, inevitably, things happen that are beyond our control.  Depending on what happens, like a car accident, or a major appliance breaking down, or a loved one suddenly becoming ill, can greatly add to or create stress in our life.  Not too long ago, I was involved in a car collision.  Nothing could have been done to prevent the collision.  Accidents, if anything, cause a great inconvenience.  I spent a couple of hours on the phone reporting the accident to the insurance companies, then had to find an auto-body repair shop who has an available courtesy car.  My plans were definitely thwarted because I really needed the vehicle.  Still, I am so thankful no one was injured.  Feeling shaken and greatly disturbed by it, I prayed and asked God, “Why?”  I had remembered to pray for safety that day, and yet, this still happened.  I didn’t get an answer right away, but I did read something in the Bible that caught my attention:

Ecc 8:6  Because to every purpose there is time and judgment, therefore the misery of man is great upon him.
Ecc 8:7  For he knoweth not that which shall be: for who can tell him when it shall be?
Ecc 8:8  There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it.  KJV

None of us knows what each day will hold.  We can prepare for many things and do our best to circumvent and prevent disasters or avoid mishaps, but still, sometimes there is nothing we can do about it!  Life here on earth is not perfect.  It has its ups and downs, trials and challenges, and unexpected things will inevitably happen.  After the accident, I just wanted to run away, insulate myself from further accidents, and perhaps consider walking or taking the bus rather than drive a car on busy city streets where everyone is in such a hurry.  In these times of stress and uncertainty, we need to learn not just coping skills, but how to forge on, unafraid to face new challenges.

Many people are struggling with financial pressures.  Prices go up beyond our control and we are caught wondering how we’re going to pay for the unexpected inflated prices.  These are the times where our faith is tested to the limit.  I don’t know about you, but when unexpected things happen to me, I start searching the Bible for answers.  My mind may tell me the practical and most natural thing to do, like get another job to pay for the extra expenses, but God’s Word may say something completely different.  What are His promises when it comes to financial lack?  And what must I do to receive His promises of financial supply?

This is His promise.

Php 4:19  But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. KJV

This is what I do.

Mat 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. KJV

It sounds simple.  He has already promised to supply and that’s a done deal.  As for what I do, I need to be more concerned about the things of God and the things that matter most to Him, and I will experience the supply that I need.  This is how it has always worked for me.

After the accident I was involved in, later that night I was unable to settle down to sleep, so I opened the Bible and read the following:

Psa 41:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. KJV
   
This got me to thinking, “Have I been too busy with my own issues and forgetting the Lord’s work (i.e. - seek ye first the kingdom of God), and have I failed to consider those much less fortunate that me?”  I knew almost immediately what I needed to do.  The next day, I took a full of bag of new craft items I had made and dropped them off at a center that accepts new items, and then they sell them.  The money they make goes to underdeveloped countries to help the underprivileged build up their economy and farmlands, etc.  I can’t tell you what this did for me.  Although I was still greatly troubled by the accident I had been in, I know that doing good for others is the absolute best antidote to not focusing on personal problems.  By doing this simple thing, I started to feel better knowing that I was able to help someone much worse off than me.  So I went a step further and I also went into their store and bought a couple of items I needed that were hand-made by people in third world countries, and every sale helps support their livelihood.  Then I started thinking about other ways to help people in need and other organizations where I can perhaps help out.

Every single person alive has personal problems, or they will sooner or later.  We need to help each other, and especially, help those in real dire need, like people in third world countries.  This is what doing God’s work is all about.  This is the Church, the Body of Christ, in action.  Think about this for a moment – Christ is the Head of the Church and every Christian is included in the Body of Christ.  Bodies are active, not inactive, unless they’re dead.  If Christ is the Head and He directs our paths, we must put ACTION to what He says to do in His Word.  This is a lesson I have to keep learning and keep doing until it becomes an ingrained habit.  Maybe it took an accident to jar me and get me moving in the right direction, or at least moving and contributing more to the Kingdom of God! 

Many unexpected things can and will happen to us throughout our lifetime, but this is no reason to take a back seat, cower and do nothing in case something else bad happens.  That’s not really living, that’s giving in to fear and defeat.  Instead, we can turn a seemingly negative situation around and turn it into a blessing.  In fact, the Bible tells us to do just that (Rom 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. NIV).  Maybe some of these problematic unexpected things that happen are really there to challenge us not only in our faith, but to give us an opportunity to test God’s Word.  Perhaps it’s a perfect chance to work on being more optimistic, and believe that God will do what He says in His Word when we act on it, regardless of how we may feel.

May we all find time today to consider those less fortunate than us, whether we’re having a good day or a more difficult day.  What a wonderful way to deal with all the unexpected things in life and turn things around, not only for ourselves, but for others in even greater need than we are.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is always better to focus on the positive of any situation and God's answer for it. I always find focusing on helping some one else always makes things better.

    ReplyDelete